Review 2017-069 «Specifics» Bourbon whiskey • Distilled from 75% corn, 13% rye, 12% barley • 43.3% Alcohol • Matured for 9 years in new charred-American oak barrels • Chill filtered • Caramel-coloured • Continental Distilling Co., Heaven Hill Distilleries • Bardstown • Kentucky • U.S.A. • Limited availability • Still available (price ±€40) • Whiskybase #56931
STORY. Carefully handpicked by the master distiller at Evan Williams, at least according to their website, this is a single barrel version of the standard bourbon. Matured for approximately 10 years, but each yearly edition is (slightly) different, obviously. For a premium bourbon (as it is sold for), it is ridiculously cheap, and has a good reputation all around.
APPEARANCE. Simple, but it is a stylish appearance, even would call it authentic… Some alteration of the colour, no expectations for authenticity in that sense.
NOSE. No boldness here, but a quite modest entrance. It is creamy, fruity, and not overly spicy. I find toffee, butter, cinnamoned pears, cardamon covered apples, bananas, coconut. The apple notes go towards a beautiful Calavados spirit. Add to that bitter oranges, cranberry compote, dried apricots, hints of strawberry. Furthermore, hints of herbs (persil, mint), floral (geranium), even hints of celery.
TASTE. It is very buttery with creamy toffee, and quite spicy with hints of chili, nutmeg, paprika powder, pepper and tabasco. It has a quite good balance between the creaminess and spices. Fruits appear less here, but are still there (dried apricots, cranberries, coconut fibres). Further on a “green” taste is developing, meaning herbs and vegetables (celery, mint). Again all balanced, but modest.
VERDICT. A beautiful expression, very graceful, I cannot say otherwise, but still it remains a bit modest, even shy. It is different from other (standard) bourbons, though, and decently balanced, so definitely recommended.
Recommended for people who want to experience the softer side of bourbons.
A sample of this was purchased from Whiskyhuis.be.
«What others say»
- @Whiskybase: Mean score of 84.60 (7 votes)
- @thewhiskyjug: “A great representation of Evan Williams” Score: 88/100
- @drinkhacker: “it’s incredibly easy to enjoy, and well worth its embarrassingly reasonable investment” Score A-
- John Hansell @whiskyadvocate: “Easygoing demeanor and very drinkable. Great value too! A very pleasing, versatile bourbon” Score: 93/100
- Kara Newman @winemag: “Number 19 in a series, this robust Bourbon offers big, butterscotch-like notes alongside touches of fresh apple, baking spice and a fiery cinnamon finish” Score: 94/100